How Does A Hurricane Increase Your Mold Exposure

According to the CDC, “In August 2017, Hurricane Harvey caused unprecedented flooding and devastation. Mold exposure was a serious concern because investigations after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita had documented extensive mold growth due to flood”.

As you may know mold exposure can cause serious illnesses known as invasive mold infections. People, especially those with weakened immune systems, can develop invasive mold infections days after exposure to fungi that live in the environment. Exposure to indoor mold that grows as a result of a flood or water damage may increase this risk. It is very important to note that Hurricanes can worsen that exposure due to the fact that pollen and mold spores spread into the air after intense weather conditions. The high winds spread those wet mold spores into the air and a lack of air circulation because of lost power allows more allergens to enter your home.

What are the symptoms of invasive mold infections?

Signs and symptoms can vary depending on the person, the type of mold, and the part of the body affected, but often include the following:

  • Fever

  • Cough

  • Night sweats

  • Shortness of breath

  • Sinus symptoms

  • Dark scabs, blisters, or ulcers on the skin

How to prevent it?

We do recommend you to contact a licensed professional if you ever had water damage, flood, or a leak in your home. We do offer free inspections in such situations. However, here is what you need to know: Mold grows where there is moisture, usually within 24-48 hours. Even if it is not visible, it is often present. Make sure to stay away from moldy areas or help clean up mold.

If it is impossible for people to avoid a moldy area, they should talk with a professional restoration company so that they can set up a containment area to prevent the mold from spreading and get rid of it before it is too late. If there is a leak in your home, someone should fix any water problems to prevent further damage.

Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed by professionals.

If you have ever had a leak you should have the air quality in your home tested and inspected for mold. If You think you might have a mold problem, it is because you most likely do. All you have to do is click and fill out the form on our contact us page for a FREE INSPECTION conducted by our professional team. Yes, it is FREE.